Clark's rant and revelry page

Rambling about lots of things, from politics, humor, current events, sports and gay issues.

Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States

I'm an avid Razorback fan, love my family, love my friends, and have an opinion on just about everything. Oh, I'm gay too, get over it.

Monday, January 17, 2005

Why are people such bandwagoners

It's human nature. But why? Is there no objectivity in people or a sense of perspective? This is a basketball post, so my queenier friends might want to tune out.

My alma mater's team started out 13-2 against a mostly easy schedule. There were some real highs there and the team performed well even against the number one team in the country, Illinois.

But the realist in me said "we're waxing some bad teams". Most other Hog fans seemed to think we were ready for a return to being a Top 10 fixture and Final 4 threat like we were in the 70's, 80's and 90's. They went WAYYY overboard.

Now, we've lost a road game at Florida ( a preseason ranked team), a close 3 pt loss to Alabama at home ( a Final 8 team and nationally ranked team now), and a horrible blowout loss to MSU ( top 10 team ) on the road. The fans now think we will lose all our games and the coach should be fired. The SAME people that extolled our return to dynasty status now think the coach should be sent packing.

I won't bore people with my in the middle feeling about the Hogs prospects this year. But I will say that it amazed me that there is such a phenomenon from supposedly smart people. When has anything ever been as good as it seemed when you were on a high, or as bad in retrospect as you felt when you hit a bottom?

You see this is all aspects of life I think. NOt just sports. But often in politics, social circles, etc.. It seems that a wave of sorts takes hold of people where they no longer think objectively or for themselves; they get caught up in the up and down and who or what's on it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

You make good points, I have no idea about men's basketball, but I do love the Lady Vols, so I can relate, they are one hard working women's team.

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home