Clark's rant and revelry page

Rambling about lots of things, from politics, humor, current events, sports and gay issues.

Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States

I'm an avid Razorback fan, love my family, love my friends, and have an opinion on just about everything. Oh, I'm gay too, get over it.

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Let's date, let me introduce you to all my ex's...

Here's the setting: I was hanging out with friends a little over a week ago and we made a rare appearance at the Red Chair. It's an upscale gay bar in Atlanta known for projections, plasma's, and obsenely expensive furniture and decorating. Smokers know it as a place they can't smoke unless they head outside.

I was there with a couple of friends, both of whom I had dated before including my best friend; he's my most recent ex from a little over 6 months ago. Then a friend of mine walks in with a really cute guy. Naturally, being single now, I need to check this out.

Well, long story short on that part of it. I meet the cute boy, he's very nice and very shy ( big turn on for me), and I have a way to contact him. I do and we go out a few times in the last week. It goes well and we determine that we're going to just date each other exclusively after our 3rd date and see where it leads us.

Now, to the topic at hand. I often try to put myself in the shoes of people I date. I wonder what they must be thinking and how things must strike them. He seems to roll with my eccentricities pretty well, but there's one that has struck guys differently. Most of my close friends are ex's of some sort. My best friend by far is my most recent ex; he was my best friend before we even dated. Then there's people I went out with once or twice who constitute the majority of my friends in some way. My friend Brandon pipes up upon meeting the guy that he "only got one date" so I'm relieved that Chris (the new boy's name) didn't appear to hear that.

So now I'm dating this cute guy. He's going to meet some people in my circle of friends and soon realize that they are mostly ex's. What would you think? I only have one ex that I"m not friends with; and frankly he had to work extremely hard to make sure that we couldn't be friends. The others will line up, Chris has already met Rich, one date Brandon, will meet Jonathan, Dave, Chandler, Will and likely a host of others that are friends but failed attempts at something more. How he will respond, I"m not sure.

I have one ex who freaked out about it. He would constantly try to compare himself to the others and feel inadequate. One time I had a party while dating him and 4 out of the first 5 people to rsvp were people I had dated before; I panic'd because I knew the repercussions when he figured that out. My ex, Jonathan, thought it was "cute" and something I should be proud of.

So I ponder. Should I just let it play out? Should I go to the trouble of pointing out ahead of time that so many of my friends are ex's? Is that something that should wig him out? Or is it a positive statement about my character? HMMMMM, I dunno.

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

You are who you are, he apparently likes that. I think it speaks highly that when romantic relationships end, you and your ex's are able to maintain postive friendships by taking the positives of your connection to the friendship level. I'm sure, it might cause some concern or insecurity at first, but I would just be matter of fact about it, like it's nothing and very common so as not to act like it's this big huge white elephant to deal with. Once he sees that you are definately w/ him and he has no worries about the ex's things will be just groovilicious.
I'm very excited for you!! Yeah! WAhoo!! Keep me updated on this new romance!!

Would you like me to add a link to my blog of your blog?

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wondered to your blog from your OutinAtlanta profile. Having just been through something seemingly similar, I thought I'd post a comment.

My recent ex said he was friends with his ex's, or so I thought...actually they were guys he had dated or just slept with and called "friends" for lack of a better word. He no longer saw these guys regularly, but he'd see one the sly when they had a booty call. I wasn't stupid, but took things at face value for a while. This dishonesty led to me questioning, him telling more lies, then other revelations about his actions and character, and ultimately to our demise as a couple.

If there's nothing physical or emotional going on with your ex's, then make sure your new guy knows that. Also make sure he knows the extent of the relationships you had--and still have--with the guys. It is good that you all know each other and see them socially, so it isn't like you're hiding anything or anyone like my guy was.

Keep things honest and open and the right thing will happen. Hope it all goes well.

D

2:02 AM  
Blogger Clark F said...

Of course I agree with the second person that responded. I actually met the new boy Chris while I was with Rich at Red Chair that night. The 3 of us will be hanging together next weekend if plans go correctly. We've already had the "talk" to both sides as well.

One talk was to the new boy. It told him that I loved my best friend/ex with all my heart and we were not doing anything on the sly. But to understand that he's my best friend and that he also was before we dated.

The other was to tell Rich that the new guy would be around a while. He's a big boy, and full of nothint but love, so he's acclimating to it.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home