Clark's rant and revelry page

Rambling about lots of things, from politics, humor, current events, sports and gay issues.

Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States

I'm an avid Razorback fan, love my family, love my friends, and have an opinion on just about everything. Oh, I'm gay too, get over it.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

When does PC go too far?

I struggle with the whole PC issue. I like to shock people in humor but I don't like to hurt people. So I naturally straddle that line a bit. There are so many things whereby people get their pants in a wad these days. There are a couple of things that make this issue resurface for me, but the Holidays just ending caused me to think about that devil of an issue again. You know the one, "Merry Christmas", or "Happy Hanukkah" or Ramadan or Kwanzaa or whatever people may hold sacred. I have non PC thoughts on Kwanzaa, but I'll suppress that for now, well maybe for just a couple of paragraphs anyway.

My brother was checking out at a shopping venue just before the Holidays and the guy in front of him was a bible beater. Christian of course, we have the only hateful bible beaters I know of. Anyway, the guy pays and the cashier looks at him and smiles and says "Happy Holidays!" He blew up on her and made everyone around uncomfortable. He says "it's Christmas, period" as if that is the only one that could matter. I guess he thought he was striking a blow for Jesus or something.

Well, around that time, I'm still in Atlanta. I'm listening to CNN, which I do way too much. The guest is Billy Graham's son and the subject was "happy holidays vs Merry Christmas, etc..... The cute CNN girl, Soleday, enlightens the audience of a group to illustrate a point. They show footage of a group of Jews in NYC who have banners on cars that say "Jews for it's ok to say Merry Christmas". I'm not sure they really represent all of Jewdom by any stretch, but it seemed wildly unnecessary and humorous to me to say the least. Young Graham is adamant that all Christians should say Merry Christmas to all, PERIOD. Now Soleday comes back with, "what about Jewish people?" Do you say "Merry Christmas" to them? He responds that he does as a testament of his faith. She then asks if he is offended if they respond with "Happy Hanukkah"? He says absolutely not, and that he responds right back to them with his own Happy Hanukkah.

Well, I think that I might somewhat agree with the younger Graham in this case. Not totally, but at least in part. I was raised Christian, though if you've read this blog you know how unflattering I can be about my so called brethren. I believe this, and YES I am coming down from the mount here.... If you speak to someone that you don't know, and who's faith you don't know, you should stick to "Happy Holidays". I don't give a damn if that is PC. It's just respectful. If I am addressing a known Christian, my holiday salute will always be "Merry Christmas". If I am speaking to a known Jew, I will say "Happy Hanukkah". I think if you do in fact KNOW what their holiday season is about, it is a personable touch to acknowledge it.

But people getting all worked up over this issue is silly. Yes, I think many Jews are possibly offended by being told "Merry Christmas" so often. I won't intentionally do that. But they should not be offended by it. No more than I should be offended by someone saying "Happy Hanukkah" to me. Furthermore, it would truly not offend me in the slightest.

Now I probably look PC or somewhat PC if you take this writing separately on its own merit. So let me shatter that notion real quick. My understanding of Kwanzaa is that it is a celebration of ancient African culture, stresses and accomplishments. The specifics are not of particular interest to me. It is not really a religious holiday per se. I also have little respect for it and think that the reason so many make it the butt of jokes is perhaps in agreement with what I'm about to say. You see, I'm about 80% German. You have to go back before WWI though. However, I am an American, PERIOD. I'm not a German American. I don't need to separate myself from society at large over some stupid celebration of something anciently German that is of little relevance. Kwanzaa strikes me as just such a "holiday". I think many black people are self seperating. Many constantly invent reasons where none may have previously existed to separate themselves from the masses. Kwanzaa was not even celebrated in this country for centuries, it has been created or brought here rather largely as another way for many Blacks to self separate themselves. My rant will end with this, I think it is hypocritical for Blacks to complain about being marginalized by others in American society (and by others I mean all others, Jews, Whites, Hispanics, Asian Americans) yet continue to create divides that didn't previously exist. It is a self perpetuating behavior that spits on the very real marginalization that once was prevalent not so long ago.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got some thoughts about your remarks on Kwanza. For me, Kwanza is simply a time to acknowledge and celebrate a culture that has been ignored and suppressed in American history and culture. It's about taking that culture out of the margins and placing at the center for one day. It's divisive only insofar as people decide to let it divide them. I know lots of non-Irish folks who celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. Likewise, nothing is preventing all of us from going out with traditional African clothing and celebrating alongside everyone else.

You say of the holiday, "[I]t has been created or brought here rather largely as another way for many Blacks to self separate themselves."

How is this different from other celebrations of diversity... like... Gay Pride?

Personally, I have no problem with holidays people wish to invent. All holidays started somewhere. I think they add character and flavor to our culture. If I agree with the reasons why they're celebrating, I'll even go along with it. In this case, I think Kwanza is worthy of my participation.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Clark F said...

Well Adamster, I would like a picture of you in your African garb then.

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home